Sunday, July 22, 2012

Tie Dye Technique on Cards


I am so IN LOVE with the tie dye technique that Nichole Heady showcased at the First Annual Papertrey Ink Stamp-A-Faire

And, since it made me so happy to make these, I thought I'd add then to the fun, new CASology challenge.  They pick an inspiration word (this week it's ... "happy") and then you go create. Love the concept that the inspiration is a word and not an image or color.

 Here's my first attempt at the technique (basically, sponge some ink in circles and then remove the dye-based ink with a blender pen). Shocking ... the ink actually comes off! The possibilities!

But I wasn't too thrilled with how muddy they looked, especially the pink centers since it was mixed with the blue and green layers below.

So, here's another attempt. Still didn't really concentrate on completely keeping the colors clean but I loved the look so much I wanted it to take center stage so I kept it simple with one tie dye. 

 Here's one with stitching around the circles, inspired by the Less Is More challenge to sew. These colors are a lot cleaner. 

And lastly, why not cut them out? The tie dye is made from zig-zag strokes around the circles.

 


This is inspired by the David Chihuly installation in Vegas' Bellagio lobby. I could sit under these amazing glass creations for a loooong time.

Side note, I was so sad to miss the Chihuly exhibit at the Dallas Arboretum this Spring. We were there on a girlfriend's weekend but the exhibit didn't open until May. Check it out! Such inspiration. And I just heard that a recent hail storm damaged several of the installations. Horrors.

Back to the card. Normally, I'd try to keep the paper from warping with the water, but in this case it was just the thing I wanted to mimic Chihuly's glass. They're popped at different levels, again, to mimic the glass ceiling. I chose a black background for the CASual Friday challenge, and like how they pop.


 
Thanks so much for looking!


Supplies:
Stamps: PTI Think Big Sentiments
Ink: PTI Raspberry Fizz, PTI Hawaiian Shores, PTI Simply Chartreuse

16 comments:

  1. Kelly - these are stunning and this technique is sure to be the next hot thing! I'm so glad you played along with CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly you did such a great job with your tie dying. All beautiful. Thank you so much for joining us at CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Kelly, very interesting technique, i love the soft colours a great card for LIM.
    Hugs from Palma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your LIM card... the stitching looks terrific!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your cards. This was one of my favorite techniques! I know I will use it often. I love all the different ways you used it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a lot of fun! I just love the way your cards turned out. The card with the stitching was a great twist to the concept!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! Your black cards are fabulous!! Those flowers are gorgeous and make me want to scream with happiness! Thanks for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tie dye flowers are gorgeous, Kelly! They look so striking against the black! Thanks so much for joining the fun with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the tue due and stiching, very fresh.

    Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi-Fabby cards-i remember tie dying(almost eerything i owned!) when i was younger-dont they look great on cards tho ?I love your stitched tie dye Birthday card :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool sitching and tie dying!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tye n dye cards. Love them all. Thanks for playing along with us @ CAS-ual Fridays:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO cool! Love that tye dye technique! Thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that's a lot of tie-dyeing! I so struggled with this for Stamp-a-faire - I got to inky and yet still struggled to make a card. You however have stormed the challenge! Thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE the stitching on your LIM card
    Terrific card
    Thanks very much
    mandi
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly