Thursday, May 8, 2014

Fusion: 10th Birthday Card for My Son

Please scroll down or click here for the CAS-ual Fridays Stamps Sunbeams release post


Welcome to another fun Fusion Challenge! I had a super-difficult time picking a winner for the last challenge ... so much pressure!! Everyone made it so difficult. If you haven't seen, check out Sian's winning card with all of that individual embossing. Crazy good!

For this challenge, I chose to go with just the sketch, as I needed to make a card for my son's 10th birthday, and neither yellow, nor flowers, would go over very well. Playing cards, however, certainly fit the bill. He was absolutely thrilled, moved me to the front of the couch, took two steps back, and lunged at me for a giant hug/tackle. Oh yeah, totally worth the work!!

The card die and stamps are the new CAS-ual Fridays Stamps which will be released today!



Here's the birthday boy. Each year I have a number on the door and we take a picture. I was a little stumped what to do about his 10th birthday, since a large "10" wouldn't fit. So I spelled it out. It didn't seem right to end it on a "9", so I'm happy that we got this one in.

He's been in "cool guy" mode and hasn't been smiling for pictures recently. I asked him for just one smile showing some teeth. "Like this?" he asked, I snapped, and then he realized what had happened. "Mom, please delete that one right away!!!"


All the other photos looked like this : )

Here are some fabulous cards by our design team!


WinnersWill be chosen by all of our teammates in two weeks. We each will choose one favorite. The winners will be announced at 4 am (PST) in two weeks!


Thanks for looking!
-Kelly






22 comments:

  1. Love this card Kelly, excellent for a big boy! Sounds like he really appreciated the effort and isn't that the best feeling as a mama? They grow up so quickly don't they! Happy Birthday to your son!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, so sweet for your son, I bet he loved this card! And the ten on the door is super fun. He looks cute when he smiles and like he be a brooding teenager when he doesn't...lol! HB to him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute kid--looks older than 10 to me! I love the story of his reaction to your fabulous card--a memory to treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the card so much and what a fun way to celebrate a birthday each year. I love the number on the door idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! Not only did you not delete it you posted it for the world to see!!! That's what moms are for! Happy Birthday to him, loving the card too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute idea!! happy birthday to your tall and handsome 10 year old! That is a clever card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun and cool card for your son, Kelly ... and what a handsome chap he is too ... especially with the smile! Loved hearing about his reaction to it! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your card. A card for a young guy is a pretty tall order. Hardest project ever! But I laughed out loud when I read the post. Boys are so weird about smiling. "YAY you!" for catching him off guard. A win for Mothers everywhere! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that u went with sketch and created this lovely card, it definitely was awesome as it made ur son happy. U r so creative Kelly, I like the idea of taking pics with the number written on the door. Cool idea!! Ur son looks handsome already ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy happy birthday to your son. My 10 year old runs from the camera right now! Love his card. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the card and wish u many more tackles from your wonderful sons!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the card, Kelly, and so glad your son did, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A cool card for a very cool ten year old!! Love this Kelly, all of the tens are a great idea! The happiest of birthday wishes to the birthday boy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my...what a MILESTONE!! I love your super CREATIVE card and of course, you went all out on decorating the door! Happy happy 10th birthday, Logan! What a cool AND handsome guy! Yup, it's a BIG deal to turn 10!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter is in "cool girl" mode too...I can totally relate. ;) LOVE your cool card and your cool son. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This has to be the COOLEST Boy's Card EVER Kelly!
    The portrait photo cracks me up. I can so relate ;))
    Love the idea of the age posted on the front door and it's so cool to think that you guys are also in BDay Party mode"
    Joyeux Anniversaire!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your son is hilarious! But all teens go through this phase where they either don't like photos or don't smile for them :P Love the huge "ten" on the door!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful design for your son's 10th b'day Michelle - the sketch worked into a great masculine card! love your door sign - so fun to make the day special and let the neighbors know too! Your story about his smile cracked me up! Obviously - you cannot be cool and smile at the same time (!?!) he's quite a handsome 10 year old smile and all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great card and design. I love the die set!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cool card for a cool cat!!! LOL, my 11yr old turning 12 is starting to be too cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I love your son. What a handsome guy!!. 10 is big--first year of double digits! Love the card you made for him--so perfectly fun and masculine. I used to take a picture of my girls on their birthday with their fingers up indicating their age. We had to stop at 10...so sad...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Outsmarting you son, ehm..... ;) - he'll pay you back....mine is 13 now and still thankfully mostly nice - we had some rough years with my daughter, but that is the past.... Great card, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly